10. The Western Athletic Conference has a facebook page. Check us out and become a fan!
9. New Mexico State's Travis Reid and Idaho's Kayla Mortellaro have been named the WAC Golfers of the Week. Reid, tied for third place in the Barona Collegiate Cup played March 16-17. He was under par in all three rounds with a low of 68 on the final 18 that included six birdies. Mortellaro, won her first collegiate tournament with a three-over par 219 (69-75-75) at the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational in Honolulu, Hawaii, March 16-18. Mortellaro won the tournament by one stroke and helped the Vandals to a second place finish in the 10-team field that included three other WAC teams (Boise State, Nevada and Hawai'i). Her first round total of 69 was the best of the day.
8. All six of the WAC’s gymnastics teams will be represented at the 2009 NCAA Gymnastics Regional Championships on April 4.
7. The Aggie baseball team set the school record for most home runs in a game when it hit 10 home runs against Chicago State, Friday, Feb. 27. The Aggies are currently ranked No.24 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper NCAA Division I baseball poll.
6. Fresno State is ranked No. 23 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25. While Nevada is ranked No. 25 in the Ultimate College Softball poll.
5. Erica Moston led the Spartan women’s golf team with a seven-under par for her three-round total. She won the individual title and led San Jose State to its third consecutive tournament win with a nine-shot victory at the MountainView Collegiate at the MountainView Golf Course.
4. Fresno State’s Latrisha Jordan earned WAC Track and Field Athlete of the Week honors. Jordan set the all-time Fresno State record in the 400-meter hurdles at the USC Trojan Invitational. Jordan ran to a first-place finish with a time of 58.88, a mark that is currently the best in the WAC by more than 1.5 seconds. Her performance garnered an NCAA Regional Qualifying mark in just the second meet of the season. Jordan also competed in the 4x400 relay that finished second with a time of 3:43.48.
3. Fresno State’s Melanie Gloria has been named Western Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Week. Gloria led the Bulldogs to a monumental upset over No. 5 California on Saturday. Leading No. 18 Fresno State at the top position, Gloria (No. 19) defeated the No.17th-ranked player in the nation, Jana Juricova, 7-6 (4), 6-3. In doubles action, she and her partner Tinesta Rowe (16), played to an 8-6 win over Cal’s No. 9 Cossou/Ilcinkas. The win against Cal is the first time this season any WAC team, men or women, has defeated a top-5 opponent.
2. Fresno State’s Morgan Melloh was named a first team Easton All-American. Melloh was one of just 14 student-athletes from across the country to be named to the first team and
the only representative from the WAC.
1. Fresno State junior third baseman Tommy Mendonca and Sacramento State junior outfielder Tim Wheeler have been named to the preseason All-American team by Baseball America. Mendonca received first team honors while Wheeler was named to the third team.